Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Just 10 Pieces

Today I set myself a challenge - to build a creature out of only 10 pieces of Duplo.  I think I achieved my goal even if Will did ask me what it was!




A challenge like this is great for getting children counting and problem solving.  Yes, I could have just made a tower using 10 blocks but adding the extra challenge of making some sort of creature made me think more.

The number of blocks could be different - bigger or smaller amounts.  Support your child to count each block individually rather than speed counting one block as two or missing some.  Touching each block as they say the number is a good strategy for our beginning learners.  You can count with them to support them as they learn the correct number sequence. 

You don't have to use Dulpo either, any equipment will work. 

Most importantly, have fun creating something cool together!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sprouts

 Last week Sam started the children off with our next growing experiment.  They used a sprouting jar and got some quick results.   Today we ...